Monday, August 18, 2008

Confessions of a Catholic Writer and Geek

Sometimes, as a writer, I address some odd or disturbing subjects. Sometimes, my characters do odd things--like my dragon, Vern, doing some act of violence and thinking it's really kind of funny. As a Catholic, I often wonder how in the world I am supposed to confess that? Apparently, I'm not alone in wondering how to address geeky transgressions in the Confessional. Check out scificatholic.

I can only imagine how my confession would sound:

Me: Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. I wrote a scene where my Catholic dragon bit off a guy's hand. I did make him go to Confession--

Priest:
A Catholic dragon?

Me: Oh, yeah. He's a good one. Only one head, no reference to Revelations, as he would say. The problem is, it's really a very funny scene--


Now a priest who is really in tune with me would say something pithy like, "You've got to hand it to him?" and I'd be laughing and having to confess all over again.

So I have to confess, I usually stick to the real-world sins and hope God understands about the flights of fancy.

No comments: