Monday, December 15, 2008

Book signing in a Snowstorm

Saturday, I had a book signing at the BX, our on-base department store/mall. I'd thought about backing out, as it was snowing and a blizzard was expected that afternoon. (It never really hit, though we got a lot of blowing snow and it's been -10 to -50 all weekend.) However, they'd advertised it, and I had at least one person who'd said they'd come, so I packed my stuff in the car and braved the bitter cold. (Rob came to help me unpack. Love that man.)

As it turns out, I sold 6 books. This was the weekend for fantasy, it seemed, so five of those six were Firestorm of Dragons, although I had two folks ask for the ordering information for Infinite Space, Infinite God. I also had an interesting conversation with a lady who was completely convinced that dragons are Satan. Needless to say, I did not make a sale, but I did get a great start for Vern's first article in his newsletter, A Dragon's Eye View. (The newsletter comes out in January--to subscribe, register on the website at www.dragoneyepi.net.)

I also had the chance to use the terrific poster my daughter made for me:



As you can see, I have made it so I can adapt it for different events. You can't tell on the photo (and not live, either), but there are three page protectors in the frame. I can print up event-appropriate flyers and insert them. In this case, I was also doing a charity booksale for St. Paul the Apostle Parish, so the CWG flyer is there to advertise that.

Amber would like to make this a business, so if you'd like to have a basic background designed for your book signing poster, e-mail me and I'll get you in touch with her.

4 comments:

Lea Schizas - Author/Editor said...

That's so cool...the poster and the fact hubby helped you in some way. GRIN.

Six books is something to smile about, Karina, especially when the weather was 'crappy'. Am I allowed to write that? hehe

Joyce Anthony said...

Cool!!! I may be getting in touch with your daughter after the first of the year-that is a wonderful poster!!

Anonymous said...

That is a supercool idea!

Connie Arnold said...

Nice poster and clever daughter! Congratulations on your book signings and sales!