Thursday, April 16, 2009

Re-evaluating My Blogging

I've been thinking a lot about my blogs lately. I figure I spend 4-6 hours a week on them--writing, posting, cross-posting--but I don't get a lot of commentary or hits. I also don't feel like I add a lot of unique or useful information to the readership, which is probably why I don't get a lot of hits. Do you really need me to repost a YouTube video or give lessons about writing? Really, the only unique thing about what I have to say is what I say about me or my books. And constantly writing about my own writing is kind of obnoxious. (Though, yes, I do it.)

Lately, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off putting that time into articles I can sell, guest blogs I can give to others who do have a readership, press releases or updates on my social networks. Six hours is a LOT of time; used well, it can do phenomenal things for others and myself. Is blogging really the best use of that time?

I know: I'm tipping the sacred cow of writing and marketing on the Internet. But maybe it's time. The Blogsphere is bloated, and so much of it is intellectual junk food. Do I really want to add my fries to that?

This week, I'm asking all the folks in my groups to take this survey and give me their opinion. I'll take it all under advisement, then give everyone the results and announce my decision.

3 comments:

Gray Rinehart said...

I probably should've commented then, but I enjoyed your post about prayer the other day. I plan to refer to it in our worship service this Sunday.

Karina Fabian said...

Thanks, Gary,

I'm still deciding what to do. If you haven't taken the survey, please consider taking a moment. It will help me in my decision. Thanks!

Katie Hines said...

Karina, I've recently reevaluated my blog, too. I've noticed the same thing: writing articles about stuff most of my readership already knows about, and continuing poor comment results.

I've made a list of the subjects I think fellow writers are interested in, and am actively soliciting guest bloggers to blog about some of those things.