Monday, June 07, 2010

Five Questions No One Asked About Why God Matters

Why God Matters Cover and link
Purchase from Tribute Books


Preparing for the Why God Matters virtual book tour took about a month of answering questions. I'd guess about two hundred in all. Yet some questions didn't get asked, so I thought I'd share them with you today.

1. You didn't feel intimidated about offering "life lessons" on faith?

Yes and no. I've been a catechist (though not a good one, IMHO) and I've done a lot of advice-type stuff so I know what and how, but I'm always a little edgy about offering lessons on faith. That's one reason I wanted my dad to join me on this--as a deacon, he has the education and training I lack. It's also why I applied for the Catholic Writers' Guild Seal of Approval. My book was evaluated by writers who understand the Catholic faith, and they could point out troubles.

2. How'd the breakdown of tasks work with the actual writing of the book?

Tribute gave us the format and approximate word count. Dad and I each wrote seven stories and life lessons. Together we found Scripture and paragraphs from the Catechism of the Catholic Church to fit. Then I put the whole thing together to send to the editor at Tribute.

When it came to promotion, I've also been doing the bulk of that--this is my job, after all. Dad has provided a lot of photos and done some of the interviews.

3. What's a deacon really do?

If you ask my mom, too much! While we were writing Why God Matters, Dad was assisting at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel parish and running the deacon formation program for the diocese--both full-time jobs of themselves, really. He also does a lot of weddings and funerals and quinceneaneras. Since he speaks Spanish well, he gets asked to do a lot of bilingual ministry as well. He and my mom also do marriage preparation with couples.

This month, he's taking a new position--parish administrator for St Anne's Parish. He will basically do all the leadership work a parish priest would do and will assist in Masses when a priest is present and hold Communion services when a priest is not. He's done this before, and really enjoys it, but it's a lot of work.

4. Have your kids read this book?

Actually, not yet. This was one manuscript I did not read aloud, in part because we were so rushed with it and our lives were so busy at the time. Each one will get a copy once I get them. (At the time of this signing, they are being shipped.)

5. You wrote about your atheist son. Do you think this book will sway him?

I hope it will influence him, but I don't think it will change his mind. Right now, I can only keep him aware of the beauty and truth and love found in faith. I honestly think he has a long journey back to our Church. It grieves me, but I also know I can't force his choice. The story I wrote, however, reminds me that I have proof that it is possible, and that I should never give up hope.

2 comments:

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Good questions. I'm glad you answered them even if nobody asked- especially the one about your son.
When our kids stray- that's the most gut wrenching thing.

God bless your work. :)

Tribute Books said...

Karina - I love reading your writing - you always make me feel like I'm sitting down talking with you. Thanks for down to earth tone.