Monday, May 10, 2010

Review of The Father Brown Reader by Nancy Carpenter Brown

(Note: Sometimes, I write reviews for a book I've read. This is only because I happened to really like the book, or I was asked to write a review for the Catholic Writers' Guild. I do not take books for review. It's too much pressure on my time, sorry.)

The Father Brown Reader: Stories by Chesterton by Nancy Carpentier Brown



I read this delightful book for the Catholic Writers' Guild Seal of Approval. I must admit that I had ulterior motives in that I wanted to read it to my nine-year-old for bedtime stories. However, I couldn't wait and sped through it myself. I found the stories well-told with delightful twists and the adaptation sound. I've not read Chesterton yet, and although I've been told the verbage is flat by comparison to the master, I found it to be on par with the Three Investigators mysteries my youngest is into right now.

When my husband went TDY, I offered to read it to both my youngest boys (Alex, 11 and Liam, 9) for bedtime. Bedtime was pushed back as we had to see how the story ends. Once Rob came home (and resumed reading the fantasy series he and Alex are into), I put the book into the car to read aloud while we're waiting for their siblings to get out of school. Alex said he likes seeing things from the points of view of the different characters. Liam says he really enjoys the mysteries and that it's a fun book to listen to. Both agree the book is awesome.

All three of us recommend The Father Brown Reader for kids--and for adults who want to share some fun adventures with their kids.

NOTE: I was given a copy of this book as part of the CWG Seal of Approval process. I was under no obligation to review.

• Reading level: Ages 9-12
• Perfect Paperback: 147 pages
• Publisher: Hillside Education; 1st edition (October 26, 2007)
• Language: English
• ISBN-10: 0976638673
• ISBN-13: 978-0976638674

1 comment:

Walt said...

Nice review.