Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Grandma's House

Dad called last night to let me know that my grandma's house finally sold. My grandmother lived in the house from early in her marriage until the day she died. It started as a run-down shack, but the efforts of my Grandpa Rex, Grandma Ruby and their sons (including my dad), made it into a lovely home where people felt comfortable celebrating, mourning, or just visiting.

Back in 2004, I asked my grandma to tell me the history of the house, and I wrote an article on it. It's one of the best things I've ever done. I'm sending a copy to the new owners today, but I thought you might like to see it, too.

You can find it here: http://www.karinafabian.com/LumbertHomeArticle.pdf

Sorry the copy isn't so good: Fence Post liked the older, brownish newspaper paper.

This article is the only thing I have left of my grandmother's house, but that's okay. There's a new family in it, making their own memories. Isn't that what homes are for? I pray that they're mostly happy ones.

No comments: