Monday, August 02, 2010

Review of The Bishop by Steven James


Summary from the Publisher:

FBI Special Agent Patrick Bowers's cutting-edge 21st-century geospatial investigative techniques and impeccable logic have helped him track some of the country's most grisly killers. But those skills are pushed to the limit in this new installment of the highly-acclaimed, award-winning The Bowers Files series. This time it's a congressman's daughter who is found dead even as her killers launch a spree of perfect murders in the Northeast. With nothing to link the crimes to each other, Agent Bowers faces his most difficult case yet--even as his personal life begins to crumble around him. Known for his intricately woven, masterfully plotted novels of high-octane action and spine-tingling suspense, Steven James delivers once again. The Bishop is a gripping, adrenaline-laced story for readers who are tired of timid thrillers. Strap on your seatbelt and get ready for a wild ride. The game is on.

Review:

I got this over the weekend from the publisher because I volunteered to review it. I love James' books. This time, however, I was planning to give it a quick look, as I had a busy weekend before my writer's conference.

"Quick look" led to staying up until 1:30 a.m. James' novels are totally engrossing, and I was fooling myself to assume any different.

The description has it right: masterfully plotted, high-octane action, spine-tingling suspense. I know you're going to find plenty of other reviews of Steven James that will tell you the same thing, so I won't repeat.

One thing I love about James' writing is that his characters are very intelligent and deep thinking, and not just about their case or their relationship. They ask big questions, about the meaning of life, about the basic nature of Man, and they always have interesting insights. James does a great job of brining in a lot of views without pushing an agenda, too. Because of that, I always find the Patrick Bowers Files books compelling on more than one level.

If you love intelligent, well-written, can't-tear-your-eyes-off-the-page thrillers, get The Bishop. In fact, get any of his books in this series. You wont' be disappointed.


Incidentally, he's having a party on Facebook. Come join us.

Steven James Launch Party!

No comments: