Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Like Seinfeld, the Blog About Nothing

Why is it that I always have hundreds of things to blog about-until blog day comes?

When I'm on Yahoo or chatting with friends, I can go on and on. OK, that's not always a good thing, but sometimes, it is. Sometimes, I'll make a post or have a conversation and think, "Hey, I should fix this up into a blog entry." Then I make a mental note that goes into the circular file of my mind, never to be seen again. I honestly believe that physicists searching for black holes should start by doing an MRI on mothers who write. Certainly on me.

Maybe the problem is this blog is so eclectic. It's about whatever crosses my mind as it crosses my mind. However, I don't want it to be a journal (aka "me fest"). I can't think of anything worse than reading:

"Hi all. S&^%y day. Had cereal for breakfast, but the milk was gross. School was OK, but the teacher is mean. (Oh, wait. I am the teacher.) Gave the hermit crabs a bath… watched Dresden Files and read a couple of books…"

Actually, there is something worse than reading it. Writing it.

So I want to write things that you'll be interested in reading, but I'm also interested in writing. Thing is, I bore easily. So I don't want to start a dedicated blog on, say book promotion or writing. Heaven knows there are enough of those out there, anyway. I could blog about my writing, but that feels too narcissistic, especially given my current level of fame, about 5 on a scale of 1 to 100. I have the feeling plenty of struggling writers do that on livejournal anyway.

"Got another rejection letter today: Dear Writer. Thank you for your submission. We're sorry, but it doesn't meet the needs of our magazine. Got depressed and had a latte. Came up with a better idea--slug farming!--and did the research. Slug farming is fascinating. I may do a novelization--wonder if I can get the movie rights? It's like National Geographic meets The DaVinci Code! I'll post sample chapters…"

So I'm not into that, either. At least not twice a week, every week.

But I promised myself twice a week, every week. Which means blogs like today--would this be whiny blog or just directionless? Whiny. Hopefully, in an amusing way.

So, if you're reading this, let me know what interests you. I'd love some direction. In the meantime, I'm going back over all my yahoo groups and pulling out entries that make good blogs.

Come by the FabChat room Thursday at 8 PM for my birthday party chat. That's probably a narcissistic comment, except that I'm giving away presents.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Karina. I'm anonymous because I don't have a Google account, but I've read your blog several times and enjoy it. I hope to be at your chat tomorrow night to wish you a happy birthday. You're on my My Space friends' list. I'm also a Twilight Times author with two books out and two more under contract.
See you tomorrow, hopefully.
Beverly