Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A chance to start clean




Most of you may already know this but the service center ended up replacing everything on my computer. Here's the long story short:
--touchpad was not working
--I backed up the files, checked to make sure the backup was successful
--turned it in to Best Buy, where I have a warranty. They sent it to the service center.
--discovered that for whatever reason the files that were backed up no longer showed on the external hard drive
--called service center in a panic, was told they did not need to mess with the hard drive; told them if they did, back things up and I'd pay
--they replaced the hard drive and did not back up
--I can do nothing about it. I suggested several avenues and they tried a few themselves. The data past Oct 26 (my last successful back-up) is gone.
--I am establishing a triple-redundancy back up plan for the future.


Please do not give me any well-meaning advice. I double checked my back-up and did everything I could. Someone in service did an idiot move, probably out of ignorance of my request. Now, it's time to move on and consider this an opportunity instead of a tragedy.

Last year, I had determined that I was going to simplify my writing and marketing life, cutting out things that weren't effective but that I was doing out of habit, reducing my on-line work time, and focusing on the things that matter. This tragedy had enabled me to get a clean start. Since I no longer have the clutter of bookmarks, I can begin again, this time better organizing them. Ditto for my files--I can pull off the external hard drive the ones I really need on a daily basis and leave the rest in storage (although I plan to back those up on a second source.)

My e-mail list was full of people I barely spoke to, but who had written me once and thus got into my contacts list. Now I can begin again with that, organizing them into groups so that if I want to write all my friends, I have one group; all my business contacts, another, etc.

I had a task list that numbered past 500. Now I don't have that pressure. Instead, I can port over the ones that really matter and ignore the rest without guilt.

The irony is that I lost 6 weeks of data, but it will take me several months to rebuild. I lost a year's worth of newsletters for 30-Mintue Marketer. Those I need to rebuild as a group, as I have a plan I'm following--and thank you, God, that I didn't throw the handwritten plan away. I've lost the most brilliant changes to Discovery, but I'll just have to trust that God will help me recapture that brilliance and maybe even take it to another level. Gapman is also lost, but, thankfully, I wasn't too far ahead and I should have all the fun scenes I developed during MuseCon. The worst is the loss of the data for the Catholic Writers Conference, but I can get that back from the original sources--and I think the e-mail files (which were backed up a different way) might be saved.

Believe me, I cried bitter, anguished tears over this, and I may cry again, but I also know that in the scheme of life, this is minor. I have a loving, supportive husband. My children are smart, intelligent and happy. Yesterday, my teenage daughter announced that her friends think we're the geekiest cool parents they know. I live in a lovely house, have plenty to eat, have great friends, and am blessed with an overactive imagination. Now, I have a chance to do something I've wanted to do--start fresh.

Time to get to work.

1 comment:

Walt said...

This is NOT advice. More like begging. Please don't forget Haggis A-Go-Go. Please!