Sunday, January 17, 2010

I Gots a New Computer, "Courtesy" of Best Buy



It was the last straw.

Dec 17, I took my computer to Best Buy because the touch pad wasn't working. After being reassured it was probably a hardware problem and knowing I'd backed up everything that morning, I turned it in for service.

Dec 25, I got a net book. I hooked it up to my external drive and discovered the backup--which both I and Rob double-checked, did not back my files up. All we can guess is that when we double checked the D drive (back-up), the computer pointed right back to its own hard drive.

Dec 26, I called Geek Squad and told them to get my computer back and back it up. They told me "Oh, they just changed the motherboard. No need to worry about the hard drive." I asked them to tell the service center if they had to do anything with the hard drive to send it back first. They agreed.

Jan 10, I was told it was ready for pick up. That's when I discovered they had replaced the hard drive without backing up my data. To add insult to injury, the new hard drive failed in the store--and the only reason we knew was because I asked them to check it. (I was hoping against hope the ticket was wrong.) They said they'd fix it in store and get it to me the next day.

Jan 13, they're still running checks. They'll call me.

Jan 15, I called them. They said it was ready. I said, "Are you sure? Are you really sure?" They agreed to double check and call me back in half an hour.

An hour later, I called and find out they were going to return it to the service center because "there's a crack in the palm pad that's affecting the touch pad."

At this point, I asked to speak to the manager. The gentleman said, "I'm the supervisor; you can talk to me." I demanded a new computer. He said they couldn't. I said they would. I outlined again the whole FUBAR story. He said he was sorry and they were going to fix my computer. I said it was too late for that--I lost 6 weeks of work and the tool I need to do it and the work of the month in the next 2 weeks is the one they want to send back tot he shop. I didn't have time to wait or confidence that they'd get it right this time. He offered a loaner. I refused. I needed one I can put my data on. He said, "Let me get a manager."

At this point, I laughed.

Fortunately, the manager was not only nice and apologetic--as everyone I'd talked to had been--but he also authorized me to get a new computer.

Icing on the cake: the supervisor warned me that if I got a replacement, my warranty on my old computer would be void.

I found the people at Best Buy/Geek Squad invariably polite, friendly and sympathetic. I found their working relationship and communications with their service center stinks. I think their service center stinks in general, frankly, and got the impression the manager agreed. I am glad thankful that the manager finally agreed to put an end to this fiasco and was very gracious about it. I'm grieving the loss of my data, and am very stressed out at the amount of work ahead of me in the next six weeks, but at least I can accomplish that work on a new computer.

(Incidentally, I have a new Toshiba Satellite E105-S1802. It's got 500GB memory and 4GB of RAM and a backlit keyboard which will come in handy at night when inspiration strikes. We're still putting software on it, but I'll let you know how it works. I intend to put it through its paces in the next 30 days!)

1 comment:

Walt said...

I was in Best Buy with my first born yesterday when she pointed at a sign and said, "That's weird."

"What's weird?"

"The signs have Spanish on them."

"Bilingual, so? Lots of people speak Spanish around here now."

"Yeah, but I doubt any of the sales people do."

"Oh, that's okay. When was the last time they could tell you anything in English?"