Sunday, February 19, 2012

Notes on Homilies: Are we afraid?

Today's gospel was about the four friends who lowered the paralytic man through the roof to Jesus and that Jesus forgave his sins, then commanded him to walk.  The priest spoke about how Jesus is always ready to forgive us and that forgiveness is life changing.  "I wonder if that's why so many do not come to the Sacrament of Reconciliation; forgiveness means change, and they are afraid that they will have to change their ways."

I need to go to Confession.  I need forgiveness, but even more, I need change.  How wonderful that Lent is around the corner; it's the perfect time to shuck some bad habits and take on some new ones.  How wonderful that I can start by knowing God forgives me, and receiving that forgiveness in a very tangible way through the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

What about you?  Do you hold onto bad habits, wrong thinking, or sin because it's comfortable, easy or socially approved?  Are you afraid to take these things to God, even knowing he will forgive you and take you back, because it means taking the harder road of change?

No comments: