Thursday, May 24, 2012

And the Winner is... (Or "Good News and Bad News")

The winner of the drawing is Gloria Oren.  Gloria, congratulations.  I've made a note to send you a copy of Neeta Lyffe 2: I Left My Brains in San Francisco when it comes out in September.

Last week, I asked folks to vote and give opinions on the best blurb for Neeta Lyffe 2: I Left My Brains in San Francisco.  Thirty people voted on the three (and then a fourth slightly revised) blurb to go on the back cover, Amazon, etc.

What I found was that people were almost evenly split over them, and for different reasons.  I'm hoping the good news is that I pegged the blurb and either would do well, but the bad news is, none of them are stand-outs.

Based on feedback, I removed Blurb One.  Most of the reaction was that it was too confusing and there were too many names and not enough connection.  However, it only "lost" by a single vote over Blurb Two.
Zombie problem? Call Neeta Lyffe, Zombie Exterminator.

But not this weekend. She’s on vacation to an exterminator’s convention with her partner and boyfriend Ted, looking to relax, have fun, and have a little romance. Too bad the zombies at the Give Back Underwater Memorial Gardens and Fish Preserve have a different idea. When they rise from watery graves to take over the City by the Bay, it looks like a working vacation after all.

Blurbs Two and Three were only a vote apart for winners.
2. Zombie problem? Call Neeta Lyffe, Zombie Exterminator...but not this weekend.

On vacation at an exterminator’s convention, she's looking to relax, have fun, and enjoy a little romance. Too bad the zombies have a different idea. When they rise from their watery graves to take over the City by the Bay, it looks like it'll be a working vacation after all.

Enjoy the thrill of re-kill with Neeta Lyffe, Zombie Exterminator.

3. 2047. Zombies are pests, fuel is made from feces, and the rich and famous pay to become fish food.

Zombie exterminators, Neeta Lyffe and Ted Hacker, travel to San Francisco for a zombie convention, a little sightseeing and some romance. But when the fish-food celebrities rise from their watery graves to attack San Francisco, their “working vacation” takes on new meaning.

It’s chainsaws, undead, and romance in this second novel by satirist Karina Fabian.

Two seemed to be the least controversial, while Three was deemed most fun.  However, both those opinions hinged on the fact that I said the word "feces" or "crap" in regards to a new kind of fuel.  Part of me sees the point that using that in the blurb might put off readers who would just snort when they saw it in the book; part of me is thinking, "This is a zombie book: decapitations, decaying bodies losing parts in the street, all manner of grossness...is 'feces' such a big deal?"

More good news for me--and for you--is that I don't need to decide immediately, and think I might rewrite both of these blurbs and perhaps another one and do this vote-to-win deal again.  So if you didn't win this time, then stay tuned for another chance!

No comments: