Thursday, March 28, 2013

Book Promotion: Fun with banners

It's been going around that social media posts with pictures are twice or more times as likely to get read and re-posted than those that are just text.  (Are we becoming and online picturebook people?)  I've been seeing this work effectively with Cheryl Tardif and her book, Submerged, and Beth Barany recommends a book tour banner, so I thought I'd give it a try for Greater Treasures.

I made this in Photoshop Elements 11, using the title graphics and the background my cover artist was kind enough to give me.  Thanks Sarah (http://www.sarah-janelehoux.com/coverart.htm) I was so tickled with it, I decided I'd make some others to hold reviews, one-liners, etc.  Here's an example:

Once I finished that, I thought, I should do this for some other books, too.  So I started on Live and Let Fly, which is also a DragonEye novel.  This background is actually a marble scheme I pulled from http://gimp-savvy.com.  I used filters to change the colors.  (It's the Enhance menu in PSE11.)  I'm still playing with the color scheme:


The nice thing is, I can make a template banner and easily change the captionsI think they'll spruce up my facebook page, and I can use them on my websites and for other people's blogs.  Maybe if I get ambitious, I'll make some with just Vern and use it for some of his stock sayings. 

What do you think?  Is this something that gets your attention?  Would you want to do it for your books?  How would you use them?  Let's share some ideas.

No comments: